Microsoft Web Platform Installer (Web PI) supports easy installation steps of IIS (Internet Information Services). IIS 7.0 and 7.5 both are known as IIS 7. If you want to install IIS this article is for you. I hope you will enjoy this article as steps by step installation guide.
Verify that you properly installed Windows 7 on which we have to install IIS 7. All IIS features are not supported for all editions of Windows 7. I supposed that you have installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Now the most important thing, make sure you are logged in as build-in administrator.
The new feature added in Windows Server 2008 is known as Local User Administrator. If you are logged in as a user which is added in a local Administrator group, even you cannot install. If you try then receive the following alert message box.
The other way to run application explicitly as a built-in administrator is use the runas command-line tool.
Install IIS Step By Step
What we are required to install IIS on Windows 7? Please follow the steps to install IIS on your computer.
1. We need to open Windows Features dialog box, so click on Start button, and then click the Control Panel highlighted by green color box.
2. Click Turn Windows features on or off.
3. You can view the selected Installed Programs, click it.
4. You may get the Windows Security warning. Click Allow to show the Windows Features.
5. Expand Internet Information Services option node. Further options would be displayed. If you want to use just publishing your websites then click World Wide Web Services. If you want to choose the default features then select Internet Information Services.
6. FTP Publishing Service and Web Management Tools are there, it totally depends upon your choice to install the required features.
7. You can view the IIS features you want to install. .NET Extensibility, ASP, ASP.NET, CGI, ISAPI Extensions, ISAPI Filters and Server Side Includes are the example shown in the following figure.
8. Click OK and the progress bar appears which shows the installation progress.
9. After completion of installation, the Windows Features dialog box would close, and the Control Panel would display.
10. We want to check the IIS 7 is now installed successfully with a default configuration. Please type the URL into your browser, http://localhost, the screen would display like the following figure.
11. We want to open IIS Manager, the easiest way is to click Start, type inetmgr in the Search Programs and Files box, and then press ENTER. The Internet Information Services Manager would dialog box would open. Welcome to IIS Manager and the installation is complete.